Re: Please do not use Qt (fwd)

> On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Buddha Buck wrote:
>
> > > Of course the apps CAN be gpled! Even if they have to be linked against
> > > some commercial libs.
> > Not by my reading of the GPL.
> > > There are hundreds of gpled Motif based pieces of software out there.
> >
> > Name 5.    By your assertion, I could modify GNU Emacs to use Motif
> > widgets, and distribute the modified version freely, under the GPL.  I
> > am certain that if I were to do  that, one of the first people I would
> > hear complaints from would be RMS himself.
>
> There is actually a Motif Version of Emacs called Motif Xemacs (used to be
> called Lucid Emacs)
> I just ckecked the copyright statement on the moste recent version (19.14)
> It definetlely is GPL!

Interesting.  I wasn't aware that a Motif version of Xemacs existed.
I use Xemacs on both my Linux system at home and at school (on
Solaris), and neither version uses Motif.

Checking the Xemacs docs (I don't have the full source) seems to imply
that it can be build using Motif, but definately doesn't require it.
It also implies that in some respects (like scroll bar performance),
Motif-less Xemacs is better anyway (the scroll bars are the only place
I was able to find mention of Motif in the equivilant of
/usr/lib/xemacs/etc on my system at school, I'm not able to check what
I'm using at home.

In any event, Motif is -not- required for Xemacs in the same way that
Qt would be required for LyX.

> > > So even for the GNU purists it must be evident, that Qt is LESS
> > > restricting than the Xforms license.
> > But it is still MORE restricting in key ways than the Xforms licence.
>
> You did not tell in which respect the Xforms license  is less restricting
> than the Qt license!
> Please do so.

Sure...  I mistyped. I meant to type "...GPL." instead of "...Xforms
license".  The rest of the discussion I had described what you could
do naturally under GPL but not with Qt with its licensing the way it
is now, thus demonstrating that the Qt license was more restrictive
than GPL.