Re: X is painful

Stephen Early wrote:

> Ah. The X Window System is not a user interface. It is a standard by
> which applications can drive displays and input devices. It provides
> mechanism, not policy.

Sure.  But I must remind you that we are concerned with
developping Debian, not X per se.  Using the above as an
excuse to not making a coherent, and pretty graphical user
interface is IMHO not acceptable.

> Creating a user interface under X that is as good as NextStep is just
> a matter of getting every X application author to agree to adhere to
> the same policy. I wish you luck.

I agree that this is very diffcult.  But the Debian developers
should do their best at getting Debian programs to cooperate.

--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.1 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>

--