Re: XFree86 3.2 Initial Reports

Stephen Early <steve@myrddin.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> One of the good things, in my opinion, about Debian is that it
> provides packages that are set up sensibly with 'normal' defaults. I
> don't want to start doing anything fancy just to look pretty; other
> distributions have tried this, and it occasionally causes confusion
> and problems. It's more a philisophical issue than a technical one,
> really - people should be able to configure their systems however they
> like, without having to undo all sorts of distribution-specific gunk
> first.

I can see the argument for not wanting everyone to have to deal with
dpkg yelling about updated conf files, but that'll only happen once,
people can say "N" which is the default, and I do think the grey is
pretty ugly.

There is something to be said for making the system look "nice" from
the start when it doesn't cost too much.  Though I don't really care
about this stuff, "fixing" it would probably be good PR.

--
Rob