Re: Is `.deb' still better than `.rpm'?

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Paul Seelig wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Martin Konold wrote:

> > I would like to be able to install packages on stand alone systems
> > without X11

> I second that! I'd prefer it the way 'dselect' already is working on the
> console and in an xterm under X11. A GUI oriented installation tool is a
> waste of CPU time, memory, disk space and man power (regarding it's

Mainly it is a big problems on machines which are not supported by the
standart XFree86 servers or on low level machines which are not capable
running X11. Another point is python. Python is NOT standard on every
machine.

I would prefer a much improved dselect.
Todays dselect is not convinient to be used.
It is like emacs to the novice. (cryptic, non-standard interface, funny
keyboard accel keys, no menues...)
How about a static linked ncurses version?

This was one of the negative reasons not to choose RedHat BTW. Although
> the present 'dselect' is not cause for joy either...

Another disadvantage of GLINT is that it is not intuitive how to install
packages from custom user directories.

So im am looking forward for a much improved dselect, which makes use of
ncurses, menus...)

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de              //
       Linux - because reboots are for hardware upgrades
       -- Edwin Huffstutler <ehuff@sedona.intel.com> --

   Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os !
                 Worked for me all the times.
                     -- Linus Torvalds --