Reading news offline, leafnode and syslog-problems.

Thank you to everyone who responded. One person even sent his
config-files for suck and inn.  That helped me to get suck going.

After experimenting I decided to follow the advice on this list to try
out leafnode.  It is easy to install and configure and at the moment I
use it in combination with tin.  I tried out trn, but I prefer tin.

I also discovered that inn, after it was purged through dpkg, left some
traces in my syslog.conf file that lead to the following messages in my /var/adm/messages file :

Nov 3 06:56:31 Johann syslogd 1.3-0#6: restart.
Nov 3 06:56:32 Johann kernel: klogd 1.3-0, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Nov 3 06:56:32 Johann syslogd 1.3-0#6: restart.
Nov 3 06:56:32 Johann syslogd: select: Bad file number
Nov 3 06:57:03 Johann last message repeated 20605 times
Nov 3 06:58:04 Johann last message repeated 35092 times

After removing inn's references to news-related files in syslog.conf,
my syslogd worked fine.

I have great respect for the people in the debian-user's list who are
so willing to help and put in some effort to help beginners like me.
Thank you very much.

Johann Spies

Windsorlaan 19
Suid Afrika (South Africa)