Re: init problems (fwd)

You (edwalter@students.wisc.edu) wrote:
> I am still having problems with init.  My computer is up to date with
> unstable.  sysvinit was one of the many things that got upgraded in a
> flurry last week.  Now, programs that don't put themselves in the
> background get killed before the gettys are started.  For example, the
> software watchdog and slattach.  I have tried putting these in
> /etc/init.d/ (in an appropriate format) and in /etc/rc.boot/.  In both
> cases they get killed.  For watchdog, I am using the unmodified script
> from the distribution, and it still doesn't work.  I have tried using
> nohup, but this does not help.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  If
> not, I will have to downgrade sysvinit.

Yep, this is a bug. I released a new version, then went on vacation.
Just like Linus always does :)

Actually the bug is in the software watchdog and slattach programs, and
shows up because of a change of behaviour in init. I'll see if I can make
a workaround in init.

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/