Trying to remove gpm

Howdy,

About one month ago, I crashed my system something fierce. My mouse has
a bouncy middle button that I havn't gotten around to doing anything
about. Anyway, I was running Ghostview and draging the scroll bar down
and I wandered ooff the bar and onto the page. OK, no problem except my
mouse decided to bounce the middle button about 40-50 times. After
Ghostview tried to open the 15-20th zoom window the system froze. After
an ugly reboot, xdm would not start X Windows unless gpm was killed.

Now that I have everything back to "normal", I have decided that I don't
need gpm any more. But when I run 'dselect' I get:

> running dpkg --pending --remove ...
> (Reading database ... 16450 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing gpm ...
> dpkg: error processing gpm (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 137
> Starting gpm  -m /dev/ttyS0 -t bare
> /usr/sbin/gpm: /dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy
>  gpm
>
> dpkg --remove returned error exit status 1.
> Press RETURN to continue.

Now, my question is; how do I get rid of gpm gracefuly?

--
<Signature deleted for lack of anything witty or thoughtful to say>
Kevin McEnhill	kevinm@kci.wayne.edu