Moving files to a new partition. Please help.

My friend and I have installed debian, but he has not signed up to this
list.

He just got a new larger hard drive for debian, and wanted to move his
installed setup onto the new one.  I have the old one mounted as root, and
the new one mounted on '/mnt'.  I have run mkfs on the new HD.

I need to know how to copy the files from the old to the new, without
having and links destroyed, and without entering the neverending loop with
regards to '/mnt/mnt/mnt/...'.  All attempts that I  have done have
resulted in files that links pointed being copies, instead of just making a
link, and having '/mnt' copied recursively.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Adam Heath
doogie@shianet.org
http://www.geocities.com/Siliconvalley/Park/6562/