Re: .xinitrc / .xsession / .fvwmrc ???

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> Where do I tell X what apps to start when starting an X session ? I'd like
> several xterms in various colors/places etc..  I'm using the debian xdm.
>
> .xsession is just the name of the window manager, right?

Wrong. .xsession is responsible for starting all the programs that you
want started when you login using X. This includes the window manager
(assuming you want to run one), which is a program just like the others in
X and doesn't enjoy any special status.

So basically you put all the stuff you want started in .xsession, and when
.xsession exits your X session ends.

   Christian

PS As an example, here's my .xession:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Local Xsession file.

# Start window manager first...
afterstep & wmpid=$!

# ...then the other stuff.
xsetroot -solid black
#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -fn fixed -exitOnFail -icon -file /dev/xconsole
xterm -geometry 80x25+590+0 &
xearth &

# Wait for window manager to terminate.
wait $wmpid