elm problem

I don't know why when I run elm, it displays the following message then
quit.

Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #0
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #1
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #2
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #3
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #4
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #5
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #6
Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #7

Giving up after 7 iterations.

Please try to read your mail again in a few minutes.

However, I can use mailx to read my mail.

I have rebooted the computer and the elm do the same thing, anyone knows
how
to fix it?

lawrence,