Re: Bad block on disk

Christian Lynbech:
> - How do I get rid of the bad block?

There are some instructions in the Linux System Administrators' Guide,
version 0.4, available at <http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/sag/>. Sorry
I can't quote it at the moment; I had to clean out all unnecessary
cruft to be able to make a backup (I really have to buy a bigger
tape drive, one of these days).

> - One way of provoking the read error is by running `df'. Does this
>   indicate that some non-data portion of the disk is hit as well?

Possible.

> - How do I get the mount program back. Do I need to boot from the
>   debian floppies and use a shell from there, or is there some lilo
>   magic I can use to get the root up read/write?

Do the floppy thing, it's safer.