Bad block on disk

I have gotten a bad block on my linux partition, and I need some help
in getting the system back on its feet.

The system is able to boot, but comes up with the root filesystem
(there is only 3 partitions on the system, one DOS, one swap and the
linux root filesystem) as readonly. Perhaps due to the `mount' program
being one of the files lost.

I have run `e2fsck -c', found bad blocks and cleared the infected
files. So far the only important loss is the `mount' program.

What I need to know is the following:

- How do I get rid of the bad block? Running e2fsck a second time
  gives the same error (though without further modifications to the
  filesystem) and finds the same bad block. How can I remove the block
  so that it won't get accessed again.

- One way of provoking the read error is by running `df'. Does this
  indicate that some non-data portion of the disk is hit as well?

- How do I get the mount program back. Do I need to boot from the
  debian floppies and use a shell from there, or is there some lilo
  magic I can use to get the root up read/write?

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech