X stoped working after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I have a problem with X, which I tried to solve on private e-mail exchange.
However, I could not solve the problem so I'm looking for a broader audience;
I will also check the relevant x-news group.

I had X up and running on Debian Linux 1.1.4. The configuration I had was:
  - ASUS motherboard 75MHz Pentium (clocked at 90MHz), 16MByte of FPM DRAM,
    external cache disabled.
  - ASUS SCSI disk controler SC200 (NCR810)
  - Graphics card ActixENGINE 64/2MByte PCI (S3 Trio64+, 89C764)
  - XFree86 3.1.2 (S3-server)
  - S.Kleinmann's kernel for NCR810

I then changed my motherboard and now the X server is not starting anymore.
My configuration is now as follows:
  - ASUS P/I-P55TVP4, 133MHz Pentium, 32MByte EDO RAM, internal and external
    cache disabled.
  - the rest of the system is unchanged (disk controller, graphic card,
    X-server, XF86Config and kernel)

When starting the server (bash> X 2> /tmp/X.log) the disk gets active and
the display gets dark. Then all activities are stopped; mouse and keyboard
events are ignored except one. When I press ALT+F2 the server turns the
display on and shows the mouse-cross for less than one second. After that
the system seems to be dead again. Pressing ALT+F1 more then once brings me
back to the character display and I'm able to shut down the server by CTRL+C