Re: Annoying package dependence concept

> From: Johannes Plass <plass@dipmza.physik.uni-mainz.de>
>
> Debian's realization of package dependencies is, in my opinion,
> too tight.
> Two (out of many possible) examples may illustrate my point:

[ snip ]

> The basic problem is that deselect doesn't allow to override
> any dependencies specified by package maintainers.

Yes it does. You can hit "Q" to force dselect to accept things as you have
chosen.

Also, as someone else mentioned, you can always use dpkg. dpkg is the tool
that apparently handles maintaining the list of installed packages,
removing and installing of packages, etc. dpkg *does* seem to sometimes
enforce some package dependencies, but that has only happened to me once.

dselect, aside from being a more 'friendly' front end to dpkg, seems to do
the following:
- automatically retrieve names & versions of currently available packages.
- point out packages that have been updated.
- automatically retrieve the package files via ftp, cdrom, etc.
- half-heartedly attempt to enforce dependencies.

> But as it is currently, maintaining a Debian system by using
> deselect is a real pain ...

Actually, it's really nice for me. It automatically notes new packages that
have been updated and lets me download and install them with less than 10
or so keypresses.... whether there are 2 upgraded packages or 200.

- Joe