Re: Annoying package dependence concept

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Johannes Plass wrote:

> The basic problem is that deselect doesn't allow to override
> any dependencies specified by package maintainers. This, however,
> is necessary since package dependencies
>    - may already be satisfied by local software deselect doesn't
>      know about.
>
> It would already help a lot if deselect allowed the administrator
> to install a package as a "ghost" in the sense that:
>    - the package counts as being installed as far as deselect
>      is concerned.
>    - deselect does not attempt to unpack/install the package.

I was just about to make this same point.

Couldn't one just create a package, say "locally_provided.deb", that
is a near-empty deb file that provides whatever you have manually
installed, like:

   provides: tcl-dev, news-reader, emacs

I've never built a package, but wouldn't this be simple, and wouldn't
it work?

In my case, I manually install several programs on my Debian system
that I also install and maintain at work (on Solaris and IRIX64). This
lets me gain extra familiarity with the distibution package.
I do this with: emacs, tcl/tk/tix, tkman, gnats, for example.
For many others, I don't bother: bash, make, gzip, minicom.

...RickM...