Re: ethernet card

Martin Stromberg wrote:

> Hello to all!
>
> I'm intending to put in two ethernet cards in two computers, so that I can nfs
> mount /home and /usr in one (where disk space is limited) from the other
> (where there's plenty of disk space).
>
> I don't have a great deal to choose from from my hardware supplier:
> Either an NE2000 compatible, Genius GE2000; or a 3Com card. I can get either
> one with ISA or PCI bus.
>
> What I wonder is, is there any reason to buy a PCI card (speedwise) if I
> go for the NE2000 compatible one? Do any of you know if there are problems
> with the Genuis card? Or do you think that the double price of the 3Com cards
> is justified, and what kind of 3Com card should I have if I decide for one
> of those? My supplier don't know what kind of 3Com cards he have! He says he
> buys them from another store.
>
> I hope I didn't upset anyone with my non-debian specific questions,
>
>                                                         MartinS
I use Intel Ether Express Pro 100 PCI cards that I ordered
directly from Intel for $49  (great price -- it was 2 mnth ago).
I had to get a special Driver for it from Donald Becker's site.
and rebuilt it as a module (instructions came with it).  It works
great -- besides the card being PCI, I also like the fact that the
drivers automatically detects what IRQ and address it is on -- no
hardware config needed. My kernel is 2.0.22 (it worked with 2.0.20 and
couple of versions below that).

Vladislav