Re: Linuxconf or something like?

In article <[🔎] 326ED290.414E01E@market1.com>,
David Puryear  <dayear@market1.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering if I could use Linuxconf on a Debian system? If not,
>please explain. I think as new user, it would be nice to have admin.
>tool to control most of system config. in one setting.:-)

I had a look at it. The problem is that it:

a) scatters file all over the place where they don't belong
b) replaces the entire /etc/init.d startup scripts with its own
   monolithic procedure, thus preventing you from ever upgrading
   packages that need that stuff again.

Also I have the idea that it does something like Sun Netra: I think
it stores part of the configuration info in its own files, so if you edit
the config files in /etc by hand and you then restart linuxconf it will
happily restore the old config over your changes. Ugh.

Basically it was designed for Slackware.

Mike.