Re: Fixed! (Re: mgetty isn't answering the phone (ioctl problem))

> In my experience, I've had to turn MGETTY OFF when I wanted to make an
> outbound PPP call.  Dunno exactly why.  I can dial out when I have MGETTY
> running, if I dial out with something like Minicom.

This is because they're not putting their lockfiles in the same
directory.  Look at the compilation options for both of them and make
sure that they're each using, e.g., "/var/lock/LCK..ttyS0" for the
lockfile, and that they write their pid in the file in ASCII format
(not binary).  (This is from the Linux FSSTND.)

Kermit, Minicom, pppd, any modem software you write, mgetty, etc.,
must agree on all of the above, and then it works like a dream.

The serial HOWTO and the mgetty docs cover this and a lot more, btw.

--
Pete Harlan
pete@mymenus.com