Re: dselect with a CD-ROM

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Shane McLochlainn wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian on a new PC via the CD-ROM.
> everything goes ok until i come to the point when installing from the
> (infomagic September) CD.
> When attempting to install from the CD-ROM it says "Insert the CD-ROM
> and enter block device
> name []:"
> AFAIK it's /dev/cdrom ( a bog-standard ide/adapti that worked under
> slackware)It doesn't seem to recognise /dev/cdrom and i tried mounting
> /dev/hdaX where X is
> a partition number... It mounts them ok BUT it complains that they're
> the wrong
> FS (not suprising.. they're the HDD not the CD-ROM) I have previously
> loaded
> the cdrom module in the setup and it recognised it ok then.
> Maybe i'm doing something stupid. If so, enlighten me :)
> The Slackware junkies on #linux don't have any ideas.... they recommend
> 'down-grading' back to slackware.

Well, the most obvious thing is you are using the wrong device. There is a
hint in your posting that you are using an ide adapti CD. If this is the
case (and not scsi) you will need the support built into the kernel, so
you will probably need to use one of the special kernels (look at the
configN files to determine which one has the support you need). You will
also need iso9660 support (but I think it is standard). Then try:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdAN /cdrom

Where A = a,b,c, or d and N = 0, 1, 2 etc
If you have dual ide controlers and the cd drive is on the second
controler, memory says the cd is set slave, so it will show up as device d
instead of the expected device c. That is, device a and b are master and
slave on controler 0 while device c and d are master and slave on
controler 1.

Hope this helps. It's a little hard to tell just what you need without
some more details on your hardware configuration, but this should get you
started in the correct direction.

Luck,

Dwarf