Re: bash profile question

For the prompt, I have the following line in my ~/.bash_profile
and ~/.bashrc
use:
     export PS1="\u@\h:\w\\n[\#]\\$ "
which produces, for example
     lds@mafalda:~/bin
     [3]$ ls -laR
or
     root@mafalda:/usr/src/linux
     [4]# ls -laR

\$ gives you a different prompt char ($ or #) when logged as a normal user or as
root; \u gives the username; \h gives the hostname; \w the present working
directory (with shorted $HOME, i.e., ~);
\n is a carriage return which I use since I have too long pathnames so I prefer
to have the prompt and history command number in the next line.
The special characters (like \n and \$) require you to escape them by
preppending a backslash. You'll find this and more in the bash manpage.

I also used to have slightly different prompts in bash_profile and .bashrc to
distinguish between login and non login sessions.

lazaro. <salem@rf.no>