RE: Getting config from kernel

Joe Emenaker wrote:

>Okay, I sent this to the list once already, but I'm not sure it got
>through.

I was hoping someone else would answer this, because I only have vague
details in my head. (If we only used Debian at the office...) Can't help
with the IP aliasing, but:

>So, I've resigned myself to recompiling the kernel. However, I'm worried
>that, during the Q&A of "make config", I'll accidentally say "no" to
>a driver that I need.
>
>The way I'd really like to do this is to be able to somehow extract or
>ftp a copy of the config file used to make the stock debian kernel.
>
>2 - Where is the information generated by "make config" kept? For example,
>    suppose I forgot to compile in *one* crucial driver, and I don't want
>    to go through the grueling Q&A that "make config" puts me through.
>    Where can I make that one-line change and then go on to "make depend",
>    etc.?
>
>3 - Is there any way I can extract or obtain a copy of what config was
>    used to generate the 2.0.6 kernel that I'm using?

A file called '.config' is generated at the top of your kernel source
tree, which contains a list of all the selected compilation options from
make config, make xconfig or make menuconfig, in the form

   IP_ALIASING=yes
   BLAH_BLAH=module
   FOOBARWIZ=no

This file will still be there after you've compiled the kernel, so all
you need to do is copy it to a safe location and drop it back in when
you want to generate the same kernel.

Casper Boden-Cummins.