Re: argh, NIS!

In article <[🔎] 199609260918.LAA20976@kastanie.netz.klinik.uni-mainz.de>,
Dominik Kubla  <kubla@netz.klinik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

>> I thought that using broadcasting to find ypserver was considered
>> a security hazard, and it was better to explicitly specify the
>> server location?  (ie, that this is what NIS+, and hence NYS was
>> going to require)?
>
>Well, that can be done with Linux' NIS implementation as well, just put
>
>	server nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
>
>into /etc/yp.conf, that's all.

Nope, that doesn't work. I replaced ypbind-2.99 with a hacked version
of the BSD ypbind. The Linux ypbind-2.99 tends
to die when it wants to switch servers, which is a problem if you
have more then one NIS server and the one you're currently listening
goes down.

Also, if it doesn't die it will return an error to the getpwXXX operation
in operation, which is also troublesome. That can cause things like mail
getting lost etc.

No other distribution has picked this up yet I think. We have the
most stable NIS environment of all Linux distributions at the moment ! :)
Disadvantage is that ypbind is a bit less flexible.

Mike.
--
+   Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
|  miquels@cistron.nl (SP6)  | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |