RE: Setting up Mail Services, Linux, Emacs, and ppp.

Alan Eugene Davis <adavis@saipan.com> writes:

>    I am able to send mail to distant sites fine, but mail to
>    addresses at the domain of my ISP usually fails, from within Emacs
>    (but seems to work from within Pine, at least some of the time).
>    Actually, mail sometimes gets out from emacs to local addresses
>    too.  Invariably, when sending mail to the same domain, I receive
>    a message from the "mailer-daemon" that the recipient cannot be
>    located; even so, _some_ of these messages are received by the
>    recipients, and I haven't successfully separated out the variables
>    that are responsible.
>
>    I note that in Pine there is a setup variable for the SMTP server,
>    while, in Emacs, I cannot find one.  Pine seems to send mail
>    directly to the smtp server, while with Emacs mail is queued and
>    sent out when the ppp connection is made, using, in this case,
>    sendmail.
>
>    The following facts may be of note:
>
>	1.  As a matter of configuration for a ppp link, my machine
>    shows the same name in /etc/hosts as the Domain name of my ISP,
>    and thus of the addresses of any mail addresses local to the same
>    ISP.  I suspect that the failure messages from "mailer-daemon"
>    indicate that my system thinks it is the machine upon which these
>    recipients should be found.  Note that even for local mail that
>    Pine successfully mails, I recieve these failure messages.

You shouldn't be running two MTA's on the same machine. I'd ditch
sendmail because smail would suit your needs and is easier to manage.
You may find your problem vanishes...

Does Pine really talk to the ISP's SMTP daemon directly?

Is your machine really registered with the same name as your domain? If
not, why the same name? If so - and the problem remains - you might
consider setting your system name to something different, and using the
duplicate name as an alias.

Casper Boden-Cummins.