Re: [Linux-ISP] Re: Using reserved addresses

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> > My question is, will the workstations which use reserved IPs be able to
> > go out into the net? If those reserved IPs are not routed "outside", then
> > how would a workstation be able to properly communicate?
> >
> > What are the limitations/issues with using the reserved IPs?
>
> It is my understanding that it IS possible to use these reserved numbers
> and still be connected to the Internet. However, you have use IP
> Masquerading. There is a mini-HOWTO on sunsite.
> See
>
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade

I tried IP-masq on a 1.2.13 kernel and it worked fine; some ip services
(ping, chat, possibly ftp (don't recall) ) did not work 100% in that
version.  I understand that the 2.0.x kernels support more robust IP masq
capability.

You could also run proxy services on a firewall/gateway system.

Finally, I've seen write-ups where the "gateway" system used a reserved
ip address for the internal ethernet and connected to the Internet using
a shell dialup running slirp on the Internet-connected host.

Steve Greene
sgreene@washsq.com