Re: [Linux-ISP] Using reserved addresses

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> My question is, will the workstations which use reserved IPs be able to
> go out into the net?

No. This is a good thing.

> If those reserved IPs are not routed "outside", then
> how would a workstation be able to properly communicate?

Using a proxy service on a firewall machine. My home LAN has Squid from
http://www.nlanr.net/Squid running on the gateway machine providing ftp,
http and gopher proxy services. For news I run plug-gw from the TIS
firewalls toolkit available at ftp.tis.com (make sure to get both the
source archive *AND* the documentation archive).

> What are the limitations/issues with using the reserved IPs?

People on the outside can't get in an snoop. Great limitation.
At home I also run raproxy from RealAudio and have plug-gw's set up for
Compuserve and AOL access.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com