Subject: RE: Trashed disk
Author:  debian-user@lists.debian.org at cclink
Date:    25.09.96 08:51

>From my SCSI days of long ago...

I believe your disk is telling you that it tried to write to a sector = but
that when it went to read it back to verify the data written was = correct,
the verify failed. Typically SCSI disks will then automatically =
reallocate the bad sector with some reserved sectors at the end of the =
disk. To find out for sure if the disk is saying this, you would need = the
tech manual for your fujitsu disk and look up the codes contained in = the
sense data.

If this is the case and you're consistently seeing these messages, I'd =
say your disk is spiraling downward. Eventually the disk will run out of =
sectors to re-map and a SCSI write will fail. If Linux does not support =
its own remapping on failed writes (does anyone know if it does?) you'll =
probably get a panic, your system will halt and you'll probably have a =
hell of a time trying to repair the volume and remount it to back it up.

Your disk could last for years to come or it could fail in minutes. My =
experience with these types of failures is that they tend to spiral =
relatively quickly (hours to days). I'd back up immidiately and start =
shopping for SCSI hard drives (almost free these days).

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com