RE: Trashed disk

>From my SCSI days of long ago...

I believe your disk is telling you that it tried to write to a sector but that when it went to read it back to verify the data written was correct, the verify failed. Typically SCSI disks will then automatically reallocate the bad sector with some reserved sectors at the end of the disk. To find out for sure if the disk is saying this, you would need the tech manual for your fujitsu disk and look up the codes contained in the sense data.

If this is the case and you're consistently seeing these messages, I'd say your disk is spiraling downward. Eventually the disk will run out of sectors to re-map and a SCSI write will fail. If Linux does not support its own remapping on failed writes (does anyone know if it does?) you'll probably get a panic, your system will halt and you'll probably have a hell of a time trying to repair the volume and remount it to back it up.

Your disk could last for years to come or it could fail in minutes. My experience with these types of failures is that they tend to spiral relatively quickly (hours to days). I'd back up immidiately and start shopping for SCSI hard drives (almost free these days).

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com