Re: debian startup scripts & dedicated ppp

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Joey Hess wrote:

> > You should propagate the PPP startup script before the NFS
> > mounts occur.  This is a site specific configuration that
> > probably isn't that common.  Never the less, I think Debian
> > 1.2 will probably deal with this better (I think).  In the
>
> I hope so. I didn't have much trouble getting the nfs stuff working, but
> I didn't like what I had to do and I felt it should work better out of the
> box without requiring editing of the rc scripts.

Well, I don't know about that. I can't get ppp working under
Solaris without editing the asppp scripts and creating a
startup script, etc.  Of course, Debian is better than
Solaris :-)

I know that Bruce plans on including some kind of ppp
configuration utility in 1.2 that would produce a chat or
diald script.  It shouldn't be too difficult to add
the functionality of choosing where to place it in the
startup.  Most people don't have a "full time" ppp
connection AFAIK.  I believe the average ppp user only
connects when she/he needs to and works "offline" the rest
of the time.  I could be wrong though.

Slackware has a section of its installation that sets up NFS
mounts.  Maybe Debian should look into including something
like this too?  Maybe it has it and I forgot?

> > system in front of me right now (mine's floating in the
> > Pacific at the moment :-)), so this is the best I can do.
> > This should get your ppp up prior to going to the mount
> > phase.
>
> Are you the guy who's doing data collection with a underwater linux
> system? I think that'd make a great Linux Journal article :-)

No, I'm the guy who just moved overseas and doesn't have any
of his stuff because its being shipped via ocean liner.  My
wife and I both pulled a smooth move and packed up all of
our shoes (except the ones we were wearing when the movers
came).  As much as I miss my Debian system, we can't wait to
get our shoes!  (It should be noted here that my wife does
_not_ miss my Debian system ;-))

> > I think Solaris 2.5+ has a functional fuser command
> > that could be used to kill all processes (close all open
> > filehandles) on a mount point.  The shutdown procedure could
> > then kill processes on NFS mounted filesystems first,
> > unmount NFS filesystems, then do its normal routine of
> > killing all processes and umounting all filesystems.
> >
> > Anybody know if Debian's fuser command supports this?
> > Anybody got any other ideas here?
>
> It looks like fuser will support this, it has a -k flag that will kill all
> processes accessing a file. fuser -m -k /home should kill every process
> using the /home partition.

Well, I'd have to have a Debian system running to do some
testing, and we'd have to have a way of dealing with
automounted filesystems (addressing the correct mount
point), but it looks like we should be able to implement a
shutdown procedure that takes care of NFS mounts prior
killing all processes.  If you're interested in pursuing
this, please e-mail me privately.  I'd be glad to try to
implement something and submit it for inclusion in later
Debian releases (unless someone already has :-)).

Thanks.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7810 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.