ppp/slhc won't load on 1.2.13 kernel under Debian 1.1

Hi all,

I have to run the 1.2.13 kernel for MATLAB.  I have compiled a new
1.2.13 kernel and modules using all the a.out gcc and libs, no
problems.  In /lib/modules I have separate directories for 1.2.13 and
2.0.0 with all the subdirectories with all the modules in them.  But
when I try to load the slhc module it complains that it can't get the
kernel version and does not load.  Hence ppp fails because of the
dependency on slhc.  I really need ppp to work under 1.2.13.  Any
pointers?  The modules.dep looks fine.  Am I missing a lib?  Help!

Thanks,

Brian Servis
servis@ecn.purdue.edu