Anyone got a microcom working with diald?

Hi

I have been using a 14400 modem with debian for some time now using the
diald system.  Recently, I purchased a 28800 Microcom Deskporte 28.8S to
speed things up a bit.  Now diald will not work.  I find it dials the
number and then refuses to talk to the computer on the other side.  I
think it has something to do with the serial line settings, but setting
these in pppd seems to do nothing.  If I use seyon and set the baud to
115200 then it connects fine.  I can then exit seyon and use pppd.  I
would like to simplify this, though.  If anyone has any ideas that might
be of assistance, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Regards
Mark