Re: g77 and gcc-2.7.2.1

Hamish Moffatt writes:
> I wrote:
> > > Similar problem (I think) with GNAT Ada. GNAT 3.04 (and hence the
> > > Debian package, and also GNAT 3.05 which is not available
> > > as a package) is based on gcc 2.7.2. Until GNAT is updated to
> > > be based on gcc 2.7.2.1 and then a pkg of the same released,
> > > you have to stick with gcc 2.7.2 ...

Gcc 2.7.2.1 is a bug fix only release.  It should be safe to bump the
version number of GNAT to 2.7.2.1 and re-release it.

> David writes:
> > Gcc 2.7.2.1 was a bug-fix only release so it should be safe to just
> > change the version number for GNAT to match it.
>
> But GNAT diverts the GCC binary, and the GCC binary needs to be

GNAT should not do this.  You should send me the appropriate files to
make the standard gcc driver support Ada.  Look at the current Debian
source to see how fortran is already handled.

> recompiled to recognise Ada code, or the GCC binary from GNAT
> won't work properly because it's 2.7.2 not 2.7.2.1, etc.
> It might be possible to hack it together but not worth it.
> As soon as GNAT is updated and then the Debian package, I'll
> upgrade GCC as well ...

David