Re: samba problems

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Behan Webster wrote:

> My /var/log/nmb* log files are a mixture of the following lines:
>
> more than one master browser!
> connect error: Connection refused
>
> The first two lines about seem to be errors, but I haven't been able
> to find any documentation of what they mean.

I don't know much about Samba on Linux, but I do know quite a bit about
Microsoft networks.  The master browser line above indicates quite a
problem.

Have you recently added an NT Server to your network segment?  I've no
idea how Samba handles elections (who gets to be master/backup/etc), but
that may be the source of this problem and the high CPU usage.

Do you notice unusually high broadcasts on your network?  i.e. slow
response outside of the Linux box?

Sorry I can't help more.

Kevin Traas
ValleyNet Hardware/Software Committee Chair &		Abby:  (604) 859-9741
Head System Administrator				Chwk:  (604) 823-4763
Central/Upper Fraser Valley, BC, Canada			Miss:  (604) 859-9741
Toll Free Pager:  (604) 918-2054
Alternate E-Mail: ktraas@uniserve.com