Re: 2 questions.....

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Andy Tarkinson wrote:

> First is a problem with dircolors.  I had it working fine (I think) with
> "stable" then I upgraded to "unstable" where the color-ls package becomes
> obsolete.  In profile I have a few aliases setting up ls, dir, etc.... using
> color.  Also I have "eval 'dircolors -b'".  I have the file /etc/DIR_COLORS
> with the colors from Slackware, and also the same as ~/.dircolors.  Now I
> get a few colors like directories and permissions but no colors specific to
> extentions like .tgz, .jpg, .tar etc...  I've tried everything and can't get
> it to work properly.

I think you have to specify the path to your config file.  Here's some info I
keep around regarding this question:

With the integration of color-ls directly into the fileutils
package, a few things have changed.  dircolors no longer sets
up aliases or shell scripts to colorize ls, dir, and vdir.

Here is an excerpt from a .bashrc which sets up aliases after
running dircolors:

	# set up color-ls
	eval `dircolors /home/syrus/.dir_colors`
	alias d='ls -F --color=auto'
	alias v='ls -l --color=auto'
	alias vdir='ls -l --color=auto'
	alias dir='ls -F --color=auto'

Note that color=tty has been changed to color=auto.  See the
documentation for other change information.

Luck, Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.