Re: How can I set the TERM environment variable?

Hi Richard --
You said:
> After installing Debian base packages I installed elvisnox.  But,
> I see that after booting the TERM environment variable is set
> to cons80x25. How can I best set it to another value (eg linux)
> during boot for all users?  Where is it set anyway?

It looks to me as if the responsible script is part of
/etc/rc.boot/0kbd.

In the version I have, there's a line which source's /etc/kbd/config.
If that file exists, then the value for TERM is read from it.
My /etc/kbd/config says "TERM=".  That is, there is a newline
just afte the '='.  Alternatively, you can edit the stanza in
/etc/rc.boot/kbd which is invoked if /etc/kbd/config does not
exist, and set
    TERM=linux
in there.

Good luck,