Re: ifconfig refuses to configure loopback address

Can you help me make sense of these smail messages that appear in my
/var/spool/smail/msglog/ files (there are now around 20 such files all
claiming the same thing)?

A portion of one such message file:
Xdefer: <<pine394@docserver.cac.washington.edu>> reason: (ERR148)
transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out
Xdefer: <<pine394@docserver.cac.washington.edu>> reason: (ERR175) host
retry file locked
Xdefer: <<pine394@docserver.cac.washington.edu>> reason: (ERR148)
transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out
Xdefer: <<pine394@docserver.cac.washington.edu>> reason: (ERR175) host
retry file locked

My vanilla smail config file, included below, indicates that there
is no retry file and checkker fails to report any errors. From the
message log, it appears that receiving mail from remote hosts is no
problem, local receipt and delivery works fine, delivery to hosts
within our domain is fine, but mail delivery to some hosts outside
of our domain causes problems.

The number of runq processes and zombied runq processes increases
daily and I'd like to get this problem fixed soon.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, Mike.

[include smail config file]
# This is the main Smail configuration file.
# It was originally generated by `smailconfig', part of the Smail
# package
# distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system
# administrator.
# This file originally generated by smailconfig at Sun Sep  1 01:40:14
# HST 1996
# See smail(5) for details of the things that can be configured here.
# NB max_message_size is currently ignored (Smail 3.1.28)

visible_name=[deleted]
-domains
hostnames=[deleted]

max_load_ave=5
smtp_accept_max=20
smtp_accept_queue=10
rfc1413_query_timeout=15

require_configs
-second_config_file
-qualify_file
-retry_file
copying_file=/usr/doc/copyright/smail
max_message_size=10M

received_field="Received: \
    ${if def:sender_host\
       {from $sender_host ${if def:sender_host_addr
([$sender_host_addr]) }}\
       {${if def:sender_host_addr:from [$sender_host_addr] }}}\
    by $primary_name\n\t\
    ${if def:sender_proto: with $sender_proto }\
    ${if def:ident_sender:(ident $ident_sender using $ident_method) }\
    id $message_id\n\t\
    (Debian $version_string); $spool_date"