Re: Swap partition and fdisk

A R Abid (aa2g+@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: I have got 16MB of RAM on my machine. Could someone tell me if it would
: still be necessary for me to create a Linux swap partition.
If you want to run X and some apps I highly recommend
that you use some swap space (at least 32MB). How much you really need
depends on how you use the system.
(If you run xemacs+latex+ghostview+netscape+20xterms like I frequently
do, then you'll probably need more than 32MB swap and you'd want to
upgrade your RAM to 32MB in order to reduce paging activities)

: Also, would
: Linux fdisk wipe out my DOS partition even if I only want to create one
: Linux partition w/ Linux fdisk and not mess up w/ DOS partition using
: Linux fdisk.
Nope, if you don't mess with the DOS partitions they should remain
intact. At least it always worked for me. But making a backup
isn't a bad idea anyway...

BTW, if you want to shrink a DOS partition, you should take a look
at fips.

--Chris
--
Christian Linhart <clinhart@ping.at, chris@debian.org>
Software Development * Internetworking * Linux&GNU Support