Re: where's man ??

> I just installed Debian 1.1 and I logged on as root. First thing I notice,
> there are no editors installed. Not one. You would think this would be a
> "required" thing...

If you just installed the 5 floppy disk base installation, there is a
lot that is missing.  Only one editor (ae) is installed, very minimal
(if any) documentation is there, and so on.  You need to install the
-rest- of the system (from CD, other floppies (don't know how well that
will work, given that some packages are bigger than a single floppy),
or over the network.  I believe the minimums needed to do an FTP-based
install over ethernet is on the base disks, although Bruce Perens would
know for sure.

> another thing... 'man' doesn't seem to exist! Logged in as root, typing
> 'man man' gives "command not found" -- and it's not in /usr/bin.
>
> what gives??

The man pages and man program have to be installed in addition to the
base packages.  They are in the doc section of the distribution, in the
packages manpages and man, respectively.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our