llseek error & large partitions

I am encountering an error formatting large partitions (2.8 gb).
Equipment is a pentium 100, Adaptec 1542CF, DEC DSP5300.

The drive partitions just fine, then when the debian install program
tries to read past around 2.1 gb I receive a message "badblocks: Cant
resolve symbol llseek".

Also, I receive this message when past this point and writing the
inode tables, "256/350 mkfs.ext2: Can't resolve symbol llseek"

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks for any help,

Mike Bigus
mikeb@manressa.com