Re: Creating deb packages

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Algirdas Kunigelis wrote:

> Could someone please mail me a complete step-by-step instruction on creating
> deb packages? The manual page is somewhat outdated... I actually figured out
> how to do it simply using tar, gzip and ar (couldn't figure dpkg out),
> but how do I make dpkg run some post-install shell script after unpacking it?
> Thanks.

Whatever you have gotten from the man page has recently been heavily
changed by the new source format. You will find the latest versions of
dpkg and dpkg-dev appearing shortly in the rex path (they were in Incoming
this morning) but a recent version (1.3.14 should be on the faster
mirrors) will have the information you require. You should look at
Policy.html and Programmer.html in /usr/doc/dpkg.
In any case you should be using dpkg to build your packages with as it
will put everything in the correct place in the file for proper unpacking
and installation.

Luck,

Dwarf