Re: libg++-2.7.2.deb is old?

In message <[🔎] m0v0VTz-0007owC@mongo.pixar.com> you write:
|From: Amos Shapira <amos@dsi.co.il>
|> In order to test a local copy of buzz-fixed before burning it on a
|> CD-ROM, we tried to run "dpkg --root=... --unpack", just to see if the
|> files aren't corrupted.
|[...]
|> Selecting previously deselected package perl.
|> Unpacking perl (from .../devel/perl_5.003-2.deb) ...
|> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installation script: No such
|> file or directory
|> dpkg: error processing yigal/debian/buzz-fixed/binary-i386/devel/perl_5.0
|> 03-2.deb (--unpack):
|> subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
|
|It's complaining that it can't find the interpreter for the pre-installation
|script in the perl package.

Which interpreter?  When I run "dpkg -I" on the perl package I see only
#!/bin/sh scripts.  And if it's missing (whatever it is) then what should
I do to install it?

|Install the base system on the disk before you unpack packages to it.

I did an untar of base1_1.tgz into that directory.

|The best way is to do it via floppies the way one would normally install
|a system, as everything will be configured
|properly. You might try to extract disks-i386/current/base1_1.tgz there
|instead, but that will not completely configure the system so some stuff
|might still break.

Isn't it possible to supply a "usable" base tree?  Why can't a fully
configured tree be provided?

I might be totally wrong here, but I'd like to test things by manually
installing whatever is need to be done, rather than let dselect and
the boot disks do their magic behind my back.  I think I'd just feel
more comfortable with the resulting image if I knew what actually is
happening in there.

|The libg++ doesn't compile with the ELF libc. That's why it's in that
|state. I'm not sure what's happening with this - whether there is a
|maintainer working on it or if we're just going to wait for GNU LIBC 6.

I understand.  But what's the difference between the "--root=..."
environment and without that would cause such a message?

|Watch out for dangling symbolic limks. It's best to test an install from
|your CD-writable pre-master using the "dselect" program. Another company
|got burned by this recently and had to replace 50 CD-writables.

Oh, I'm not doing it for profit.  I want to help people around me to
have easier access to Debian.

|	Thanks

Thank you for everything.

|	Bruce

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL             amos@dsi.co.il |                     -- Anonymous