Re: A couple of Problems

Vadik Vygonets wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Jim Worthington wrote:
>
> > It looks as if my /etc/X11/Xsession file is not being read.

After several hours of floundering, I got xdm working. xdm was not
running, I believe because some of the xdm startup files including
/etc/X11/Xsession were not executable.
One of the files in the /etc/X11/xdm directory was missing.

I've found that if there is an installation problem, that merely
rerunning dpkg -i on the .deb package won't necessarily resolve the
problem even if no error messages are reported on the second try.  I've
found that the bad install must first be removed before trying a
reinstall.  This has been the cause of most the installation problems
that I have encountered.

> Oh I forgot...  it must be called from xdm or xinit.  All the output of
> this file must go to ~/.xsession-errors, so try to echo some debug info
> from /etc/X11/Xsession and look wether it's in the file.

I tried echoing messages from the /etc/X11/Xsession file.  I found that
this
file only gets invoked from xdm.  It does not get invoked from xstart or
xinit.
Since /etc/X11/Xmodmap is called from /etc/X11/Xsession, it also would
not be
invoked from xinit.

I prefer using xinit over xdm since I use several different windows
managers.  I ended up putting the statement "xmodmap .Xmodmap" in my
.xinitrc file.  I don't care for the long script provided in the system
xinitrc file.  It is actually a link to the /etc/X11/Xsession file.  I
don't include the script in my .xinitrc file since it makes maintenance
of my desktop difficult. I like to use the save desktop module thats
provided with fvwm2-95.  If the script is present, I have to do a lot of
editing.  It would be nice if both the system xinitrc and the ~/.xinitrc
could be called.  The system file for the scripts and the .xinitrc for
the desktop.  The system file, however is not invoked if the user's file
is present.

Thanks for the help,

Jim