Re: newsgroup creation RFD - draft

 DG> On 6 Sep 1996, Juri Pakaste wrote:

 >> Wouldn't comp.os.linux.distrib.debian.* or something similar be
 >> better? If users of other distributions decide that they'd like to
 >> have newsgroups too, things would be pretty confusing with
 >> c.o.l.{debian,redhat,caldera,slackware,craftworks,yggdrasil,wgs,
 >> linux-ft}.* etc.

 DG> As opposed to
 DG> c.o.l.d.{debian,redhat,caldera,slackware,craftworks,yggdrasil,wgs,
 DG> linux-ft}.* ?

 DG> Of course the difference is that these would be clearly separated
 DG> from {misc,hardware,networking,announce,setup,answers,x} but that
 DG> doesn't seem important.

A matter of taste, I guess. I'd prefer the distribution specific
groups to be labeled as such, so that they would be grouped
together. Of course, most of the distributions I mentioned probably
won't need newsgroups - most of them probably don't even have mailing
lists. But if even a few of them got newsgroups and they were called
c.o.l.<distributionname>.*, it would be harder to locate the groups
there are today among all the new ones.

--
Juri Pakaste/jurip@icon.fi