Latex: where to install new styles? Mf: how to muzzle?

To begin with:
I installed Latex2e-7 yesterday, with libmf required, the mf**
packages mentionned earlier, and it all works without a single "format not
found"! Thanks debian-user!!!

Now the questions:

1) Where/how am I supposed to install latex styles for all users?
/usr/lib/texmf/tex is quite a jungle, and I thought I was not supposed to
customize /usr. But if I put in /usr/local, how to comply with the mysterious
logics behind Latex2e, and above all, how to get it accessible? I failed to
find an /etc config file...

2) Kpathsea is a nice and powerful thing. However, when viewing a dvi from
netscape, chances are it will contain unsual fonts and thus produce a lot of
output like
	The letter A
	The letter B
which is not thrilling, and which netscape chops into many dialogs you have to
each kill on the OK button... How do I tell metafont to run silently? I don't
mind keeping a single line each time a font is built... Again, no /etc config
file in sight...

Amities,

		Jean Orloff
+Tel:(33)50.09.16.75   Fax:(33)50.09.94.95   http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/+
In a Yugoslavian hotel:
       The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the
       chambermaid.