Latex documentation for beginners?

I relatively new to Linux and totally new to TeX and LateX.

I downloaded Debian 1.1 and enough of the TeX an LateX-files to get LateX
running on my computer.  My problem is that the documentation supposes a
fair degree of knowledge of the philosophy behind TeX and LateX.

As a tradisional Wordperfect user in a Dos-environment, I do not know where
to start, how to create and view a document, how to print and I do not find
anything in the Info-manual that could explain it to me except the reference
to two books I should read about Latex.  The documentation explains a of
commands, but there is no introduction to Latex.

Is there any introduction to LateX available somewhere?  I do not want to
buy a book (and they are quite expensive here) before knowing enough to
decide whether I want to use the product seriously.

Johann Spies