Re: emacs troubles

> emacs is an editor with text/graphic interface
> so u can compile emacs with out graphic-x interface

Generally, if there is an option to compile a program with an X interface
as well as its text interface, we do so for Debian. This requires _only_
that the (reasonably small) X runtime library be installed if you don't
plan to use X on that system - no servers or X applications are required.

The alternative was maintaining X and non-X versions of a dozen programs,
which was a hassle and error-prone. I'm sorry that we caused confusion in
this case.

I think if you had used "dselect" instead of "dpkg" it would have told you
what package provided elf-x11r6lib when you selected emacs. This assumes
that you had a complete copy of the "Packages" file from our FTP archive.

	Thanks

	Bruce