Re: Cross posting per request

Larry,

They intend to implement /opt as a major mount point. They also plan to
make /usr/local a very dangerous place to play. :)
I hope that Debian will make a policy of staying out of /usr/local.

This is way it is shaping up for each application:

Beside the binary in /usr/bin or /bin.
There will be a /usr/libexec subdirectory for each application.
There will be a /usr/share subdirectory for each application. They
specify the contents of this directory to be "architecture independent
data".
/var is in a serious state of flux and I think that this will go to pot
like /usr/lib is now. About half of it is currently local and half
currently non-local.
They seem to be refusing to fix ridiculous things like /usr/games and
putting /dev/MAKEDEV where it belongs in /sbin.

Well actually the FHS people are pretty set on this