Re: irqtune: improve serial port performance by 3x?

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Sep 1996 11:12:42 +0300 Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.Helsink
> i.FI) wrote:
>
> > In my never-ending battle to make the kernel behave well by default without
> > needing "irqtune" (which is very setup-specific, and as such not something
> > the kernel can do automatically), I was thinking of doing interrupt priority
> > rotations instead of the current fixed mode.
>
> Just to tell you that this patch gave me the same effect as irqtune did
> before: full serial speed. Actually, I applied the 2.0.17 patch which
> contained this small patch.
>
> I'm glad this thing's in the kernel now.

I have one report of a hung kernel at bogomips time, which seems to indicate
that the priority rotations do not work at all with certain chipsets
(probably a buggy interrupt controller). I may have to revert to the
non-rotating version after all.

Damn.

		Linus