RE: How to migrate a Debian system to another hard drive?

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

|>When replicating a system between two partitions, the thing most often
|>missed is that you must preserve symbolic links instead of copying them
|>as files. It's also important to preserve the ownership and permissions
|>of files, and obscure things like the setuid bits, character and block
|>special files, and named pipes.
|>
|>I generally use this:
|>
|>	cd /old_partition
|>	tar cf - . | (cd /new_partition; tar xvlpf -)
|>
|>Note the "p" flag to the extracting tar. You must be "su"-ed to root
|>while doing this. See how each side of the pipe has a different
|>current directory?
|>
|>	Thanks
|>
|>	Bruce
u can also do it with `cp` - i did that (even moved my /dev)
for any other info plz refer to `man cp` [ I don't remmeber! :-) ]
just saying it's possible :-)
Regards
borik

___
Boris Beletsky <borik@isracom.co.il>
(finger borik@cyberspace.org for pgp public key)
___
Commorandi natura deversorium nobis, non habitandi dedit