Re: dselect/dpkg problem: install/remove

 Hi,

 > where is local/binary ??
 I _think_ is a local filesystem or directory where you put your
 any extra package which is not present under the stable|contrib|non-free
 tree. For example you can put ther
 a) Your own packages like a custom kernel created out of the kernel-source
   and made (autoamtically) kernel-image-custom.deb
 b) the ftp'ed partial tree if you don't have the CD

 Anybody knows of other use for it?

 >I have tried to remove these packages, but upon running either
 >dselect or dpkg I get something along the lines of "Package is in an
 >unstable/condititon please re-install before attempting to remove"
 > ......I can't install the pac kage, can't re-install the package,
 > and dselect/dpgk won't remove it!
              ^^^^^

 It happened to me too with dselect when I run out of space in /usr
 (The size of the packages being selected and the free space on the
 filesystem would have helped... Ian, Bruce are you listening?).

 In my case, only the front-end "dselect" could not install or remove
 those "unstable" packages. This however worked for me:

 1) Quit dselect
 2) Install the "unstable" packages with "dpkg -i" giving the full path
    something like:
    # dpkg -i /cdrom/stable/binary-i386/devel/kernel-source-2.0.6-0.deb
    That will install the package and update the files dselect needs to
    configure/remove/purge or whatever you want to do next with the
    package within dselect.

 >As I do not clearly understand the package system yet, I'm afraid to
 >simply delete the packages and mess up dpkg's database.

 Don't worry, you're not alone :-). Just read the documentation you find
 _many_ times untill you get the feeling. "dpkg --help | less" and all the
 manual pages mentioned in the "fake" dpkg manpage (man -k dpkg can help
 too). But be patient... the Debian packaging system is a several years
 project so _it is_ a complicated and _excelent_ system!
 look also at the /var/lib/dpkg/info to learn "by example" what comes with
 every package. In my case, the package_name.list file for the "unstable"
 packages in that directory was missing ...and that confused dselect.

 Lazaro <salem@rf.no>
Subject: dselect/dpkg problem: install/remove
Author:  debian-user@lists.debian.org at cclink
Date:    07.08.96 10:26

I seem to have a similar problem with dselect/dpkg, but not with the
dpkg-ftp option (haven't gotten that far yet)

The dselect package has given me problems from the first. I made a
few errors in my 1st attempt at the CDRom install, but managed to get
most of the selected packages unpacked & installed.  Where dselect
hung was on the kernel-source/kernel-headers packages. (where is
local/binary ??)

I have tried to remove these packages, but upon running either
dselect or dpkg I get something along the lines of "Package is in an
unstable/condititon please re-install before attempting to remove"

As I do not clearly understand the package system yet, I'm afraid to
simply delete the packages and mess up dpkg's database.  I can't
install the package, can't re-install the package, and dselect/dpgk
won't remove it!

Coming from the SlackWare Distribution, I learned how to compile &
install programs using make, so there was no problem using the code
to create a kernel & boot floppy, which I now use to bring up the
system.  There are some problems with this too, but that will wait
for another time.

Can anyone help?