catch 22?

Oh Debian L'ers,

I've managed to get myself in a catch-22 kind of dilemma.  In an effort
to get a working 2.0.0 kernel with the proper options to support IP
masquerading, somehow or other both my kernel-image and kernel-source
packages have gotten to a state where I'm stuck fast!  I cannot
successfully build a kernel at this point, and I can't remove or reinstall
either of the packages.  Attempting to reinstall results in errors
during the prerem or postrem scripts for both the source and image
package.  Attempting to remove, errors with a recommendation to reinstall
(which fails of course!--hence the dilemma) before attempting to remove!
I am stuck in that proverbial hard place.............

Is there some way to force dpkg to reinstall (or remove) in spite of the
error it encounters attempting to remove the older package first?  Or is
there some reasonable way to fake it out by creating the .deb files in
some magic place where the remove will work, for example, or even by
copying them from the CD to an appropriate place (I do have the I-Connect
CD cut on 6_16)?

I haven't been successful attempting to use dpkg -i either, but that could
be me not getting the syntax correct perhaps.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

Stuck fast....

Paul